Setting up second nic for local lan backup

Steven Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Thu May 5 00:40:12 UTC 2011

I have a Redhat 5.2 box that I am trying to setup in internal lan on for
backing up to a local machine since my Provider charges for any bandwith
going over the external IP's even though it comes right back to another
server of my network.  Below is the setup for the 2 nics that I tried, but
when I try to start the second nic with "ifup eth1", it looses the route for
the first nic so my external IP will no longer work unless I restart it
which then takes the route out of the second nic.  What am I missing?  I
hope someone can help me with this.  BTW, the second nic is connected to an
internal router.  I am assuming that I can't just use a switch instead any
easier.

# cat ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=none