Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Mun mjelists at gmail.com
Sun May 8 04:51:53 UTC 2011

Hi Richard,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM, lists-redhat <
replies-lists-b3z1-redhat at listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> if you're telnetting specifically to port 25, the smtp port (not
> generically to the machine, which will get you to port 23) and
> you're getting "connection lost" or "connection timed out", then you
> most likely have some type of a firewall issue.

Yes, for the experiment I was telnetting specifically to port 25.
Your assessment of the issue does appear to have merit: Note that when I
sent
an email from my gmail account to my workstation, gmail eventually sent me a
warning
stating that "The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect."
  Which
seems to reinforce your theory.

> from the machine itself, try telnetting to its port 25 *by ipnumber*
> (not name). make certain that you see that it's not trying to
> connect to 127.0.0.1 (which will probably happen if you try by
> name). if you get a connect, then it's likely an off-host
> firewall/routing issue.

I got a connection to sendmail.

> then, try telnetting to "127.0.0.1 25" -- you should get sendmail
> connect.

I got a connection to sendmail.

> if the telnetting to port 25 by the machine's ipnumber gets a hang
> then you likely have an on-host firewall issue. iptables is the most
> likely machine-specific firewall. you can look in /etc/sysconfig to
> see if you have an iptables setup. if so, turn iptables off and try
> telnetting in to port 25 (by ipnumber and from off-host) and see
> what you get.
>
> if the issue appears to be an off-host firewall issue, then you need
> to step back and see what's going on from the outside.

It would seem that I am here, right?

> [honestly, if you did nothing to your machine setup, i'd bet on some
> external/network change to be causing your issue.]

I'm a little nervous that the updates that were installed did something to
cause this
side affect--but by reading their descriptions, that shouldn't of been the
case.  Furthermore,
since I downgraded the respective patches I should be back to a working
system.

Thus, I am in agreement that it _does_ seem to be something external to my
machine.
Although, my IT dept does not agree; so I may be out of luck.

> [by the way, you don't need to reboot the machine to restart
> sendmail, or other service starts/stops (rebooting to restart/fix
> things is the windows approach to life, and not generally necessary,
> or recommended, in the unix world.)]

Agreed.  I did the reboots in response to downgrading packages.  Strictly
speaking,
the downgrades did not require reboots.  But because the downgrade had no
affect on my problem,
I thought I'd reboot--just in case.  Plus, I was desperate.

Kind regards,

--
Mun