Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Mun mjelists at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:34:31 UTC 2011

Hi Barry,

Thanks for replying.
Some of the points were previously brought up by others; but I'll try to
address
your points the best I can.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org> wrote:

> I've not been following this too closely, but I'll make a few suggestions
> in no particular order.
>
> 1.  Add an iptables logging rule that logs and connections to port 25 not
> from localhost.  Something like:
> iptables -I INPUT -i ! lo -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j LOG

I am going to wait on the change because I don't feel comfortable doing this
just yet.  Note
that we have established that systems on my subnet can successfully telnet
into port 25 of
my system; whereas systems on other subnets cannot.  Would the logging rule
above provide
additional information regarding the failed connection attempts to port 25?

> Verify connections (or lack thereof) in /var/log/messages
>
> 2.  Is SELinux enabled?  Find out with "getenforce" .. if it is on, turn it
> off temporarily with "setenforce 0" (as root)

SELinux is Disabled.

> 3.  Is there anything relevant in /var/log/messages /var/log/maillog
> /var/log/audit/audit.log ??

None that I or my IT dept could find.

> 4.  Make sure you're not out of inodes with "df -i"

Plenty of inodes.

> 5.  Try connecting to the mail server manually from another machine on the
> same subnet.

I can do that successfully.

> 6.  Verify other Internet communications work .. perhaps you've got a bad
> route of some kind.

I seem to be able to do other internet activity without any problems.

> 7.  Run some tests with swaks <http://jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/>

I'm not familiar with swaks; but I'll look into it.

> 8.  Use system-switch-mail to verify that your system is using sendmail.

My system is running sendmail.  However, I'm not familiar with
system-switch-mail, nor could
I find that command on my system.

> 9.  Add a second local IP address to your machine .. test that as well, see
> if there are any different results.

That's a good idea, but not easily executed because I would need IT to help
me out.

> Good luck.

Thanks!  And thank you for replying.

Regards,