Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Sun May 8 21:27:42 UTC 2011

>> 1.  Add an iptables logging rule that logs and connections to port 25 not
>> from localhost.  Something like:
>> iptables -I INPUT -i ! lo -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j LOG
>>

> I am going to wait on the change because I don't feel comfortable doing this
> just yet.  Note
> that we have established that systems on my subnet can successfully telnet
> into port 25 of
> my system; whereas systems on other subnets cannot.  Would the logging rule
> above provide
> additional information regarding the failed connection attempts to port 25?

You're not blocking/allowing anything .. just logging, before any ACCEPT
rules.  If you try to telnet to port 25 from another subnet with this rule
in place and you don't see connections getting logged, they're not getting
to your server.

>> 6.  Verify other Internet communications work .. perhaps you've got a bad
>> route of some kind.
>>

> I seem to be able to do other internet activity without any problems.

What about connecting to other internal hosts that are on a different
subnet.  I still think this could be routing related.  Have you verified
your routing table with IT?

>> 7.  Run some tests with swaks <http://jetmore.org/john/code/swaks/>
>
> I'm not familiar with swaks; but I'll look into it.

I usually manually telnet to port 25 and have an SMTP conversation with
the mail server.  If you don't speak fluent SMTP, swaks can help.

>> 8.  Use system-switch-mail to verify that your system is using sendmail.

> My system is running sendmail.  However, I'm not familiar with
> system-switch-mail, nor could
> I find that command on my system.

If you ever had postfix or qmail installed from RH it installs in a way
that allows you to switch between MTAs.  system-switch-mail manages
symlinks to make sure everything lines up correctly.  You can install the
system-switch-mail package if you like.  Probably not needed.

Barry