What happens if move command in interrupted in between.

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:50:24 UTC 2011

Hi :)

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Abhilash Chittathukatil
<abhilashck72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am moving contents from source directory to destination directory and if
> move command is interrupted in between. What will happen ?? The source will
> remain the same ?

The files that have been moved should appear in the destination
directory and not appear in the soucre/original directory.

Files that have NOT been moved or partially moved should NOT appear in
the destination directory and should appear in the source/original
directory.

mv is a file by file case so when 1 file gets copied to the
destination directory, it gets deleted from the source. Then mv moves
on to the next file.

I would recommend a cp (-dpRvi, for example) and if everything's OK,
then delete the original files. rsync can also be handy ;)

I don't usually use mv command since if there's some corruption during
the copy ... you might end up losing files (unless you have a good
backup ;).

HTH

   Rafa