Explanation of weird yum behavior

Jonathan S Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Mon Sep 12 16:50:19 UTC 2011

On 09/12/2011 12:27 PM, Matty Sarro wrote:
> yum erase multipath-tools device-mapper-multipath device-mapper
>
> Instead of being allowed to uninstall only those packages, I get the following:

It's probably device-mapper's fault.  device-mapper is required by a
variety of packages (notably e2fsprogs-libs) which then brings in a huge
number of dependencies because e2fsprogs-libs provides libcom_err.so and
a lot of things link against that library or other libraries that use it.

Removing device-mapper-multipath will get rid of mkinitrd, something you
probably want to avoid as well.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support