Bug 800181: NFSv4 on RHEL 6.2 over six times slower than 5.7

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jul 26 19:19:48 UTC 2012

Allen Chen wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 10:38 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> From: Corey Kovacs<corey.kovacs at gmail.com>
<snip>
>>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM, mark<m.roth at 5-cent.us>  wrote:
>> <snip>

>> /scratch/foo<same_server>(rw,sync,no_wdelay)

<snip>
<snip>
>> Therefore,
>>
> I did a quick test on my CentOS 6.2, and I don't see any slow untar.
> Here are the steps I did:
>
> On server:
> # uname -a
> Linux backup62 2.6.32-220.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 16:15:40 GMT 2011
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> on my desktop:
> # uname -a
> Linux centos62 2.6.32-220.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 16:15:40 GMT 2011
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> # mount -t nfs server-ip:/images /mnt
> # time tar xvfz /mnt/hs21.tgz
> real    0m5.496s
> user    0m0.438s
> sys    0m0.176s
>
> # cd /mnt
> time tar xvfz hs21.tgz
> real    0m20.634s
> user    0m0.414s
> sys    0m0.135s
>
> # ll hs21.tgz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43725908 Apr  2  2008 hs21.tgz

Allen,

   what does /etc/exports read? On my system, if I have it as

/scratch/foo <fwdn.hostname>(rw,sync,no_wdelay)

I get the delay. Following someone's post a week or two ago, I tried
/scratch/foo <fwdn.hostname>(rw,async,no_wdelay)

and it goes at a reasonable speed. That (a)sync seems to override
everything else. However, I'm trying to get together with my manager to
decide if we want to use async - that's above my pay grade, and we have to
consider that we have a fair number of users that run jobs that run for
literally days, sometimes over a week, and loss of any data at all might
mean false results, or having to rerun it.

> Is there anything you can do with the DNS settings on the server side?

DNS has nothing to do with the test case.

     mark