Timers not working as expected

Georgios Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Thu Jun 21 08:23:18 UTC 2012

Hi Ankit,

How did you measure the 2500 microsecond interval?

The timeval structure should give you a proper microsecond resolution
BUT, the accuracy of the timer is normally limited by the software clock
(100, 250, 300, 1000 Hz). If a timer expiration value does not match a
multiple of the jiffies you set the system clock as a kernel compilation
option, you get rounding errors.

Also in kernels prior to 2.6.21 (where you can see the
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS kernel config option), you could have some
conditions depending on system age (clock) and load or scheduler issues,
where you see these deviations. If you switch to 2.6.21, you should get
proper high resolution timing and if you combine that with modern (last
3 years) hardware, you should really be able to schedule accurately down
to microsec resolution.

GM

Best regards,

George Magklaras PhD
RHCE no: 805008309135525

Senior Systems Engineer/IT Manager
Biotechnology Center of Oslo and
the Norwegian Center for Molecular Medicine
EMBnet TMPC Chair

http://folk.uio.no/georgios