Defining a "Linux Engineer"

Tom Burke tomburkeii at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:49:31 UTC 2012

Here's the deal.  For me to *legally* call myself an engineer, I have two
options.

1st option, go to an ABET accredited 4 yr university.  Pass the FE exam.
Work in industry for a minimum of 4 years.  Get several "real" engineers to
write letters of recommendation, so I can apply to take the PE exam.  Then
I must pass the PE exam.  Then, I have to pay for licensure on an annual
basis, and I am required to take a minimum number of continuing education
classes every year, as well.

2nd option is pass a 2yr engineering-related degree, and be able to show
work that is of equivalent "stature"

The engineer title is not given by some hoity-toity agency, but is issued
by state governments, and implies that the bearer has some certain minimum
level of credentials, and is then liable for any work he or she might
perform.  It also gives that person "sign-off" authority (and all attendant
obligations) in designs/projects that require some level of oversight.

Most states have reciprocity, so it's not so bad to go from one to the
other, but I don't know that this is universally true.  This is also the
same between countries.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, what you're doing may well be systems engineering in the classical
sense.  If you are architecting large systems, doingthe math behingd them,
load calculations, traffic handling, storage requirements, etc, and then
documenting, testing, and writing the reports to sell off - then, indeed,
you are doing systems engineering.

*HOWEVER*

I ran into this problem while looking for a new job relatively recently -
the term "systems engineer" has come to mean "network administrator" to
most businesses, it seems.  I would go in for an interview and shock them
with my salary requirements, and then when I explain what I do, they look
at me like I have a third eye.

The problem is that there has been a ...  i dunno, dilution? of the job
description, making it a lot harder to find work for everyone involved in
the process, and a lot of time wasted because of it.  I don't deny that you
are doing "engineering"  I do it, too, even though I'm not a licensed
"engineer"

However, *legally* speaking, it has been drilled in to me that I am not
allowed to call myself an "engineer" by title, as it is also a breach of
ethics through misrepresentation.

whatever.