Server Probing

geofrey rainey geofrey.rainey at enterpriseit.co.nz
Thu Jan 31 23:41:13 UTC 2013

"Exact" is probably the wrong term, there's a difference between sitting
on one's computer and sending a tcp packet to another computer than
physically going on to one's property with the intention of looking for
entry points. The former is something that I do out of interest,
interest in finding out what a server on a network might be running,
improve my networking skills, and so-forth, it might be, frankly, quite
arbitrary deemed "really bad" by corporates that have left holes that
clever crackers are able to exploit and steal stuff and sure, I am not
advocating that and understand that it is theft and so-forth, but
frankly, scanning a host is hardly a major criminal offence and it's an
excessive use of legal power to assert that it is tantamount to some
burglar trying to break in to a building or something.