FW: [redhat-list] sftp error question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 2 18:37:02 UTC 2013

Hi, Constance,

Constance   Morris wrote:

> Thanks again - I will attempt to finish the updates and see if that fixes
> the problem. What is so weird to me is that I can use it just fine and so
> can other people. So far it is only two people on campus that cannot. If I
> go into /etc/passwd and change him from /opt/openssh/libexec/sftp-server
> to /usr/openssh/libexec/sftp-server  then he gets a different error
> message.

Ok, first: su - to him, and type which sftp - check the path, and make
sure of what he's getting. You should change him back: if that's what
everyone else is using, he should be using the same.

> With the 1st path - he gets 'There's no site named 'faculty-staff/jadams'
> But with the 2nd path - he gets "FTP transmits the user name and password
> without encryption. If possible, open the site by using an HTTP URL to
> help protect it from potential network attacks."
> The funny thing is we are not using FTP - we use sftp and I've tried
> logging in as him on from with expression web and get the same.

I have no idea what "expression web" is. Have you tried sftp'ing from the
command line?

> Any thoughts?

In addition to the above - are doing this via browser? If so, open
tools->web developer->error console, and see what's there. You can also
check, of course, /var/log/messages and /var/log/security.

Also, have you looked to see that faulty-staff/jadams exists, where all
the others reside? And what are the permissions on it?

> Also, thank you for the book references.

AND I don't eve get a kickback from O'Reilly.... <g>

         mark