formatting a 12.73 Tb disk on ROCKS 5.2

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 9 16:55:44 UTC 2013

Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> I removed the one partition created by fdisk, because it was too small.
>
> fdisk /dev/sda
>
> WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk
> doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 13999.8 GB, 13999848554496 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1702051 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

Yup. Is it really /dev/sda?
parted /dev/sdx -a optimal
mklabel gpt           < this creates the GPT equivalent of an MBR
mkpart pri ext4 2M 14TB   < this actually creates the partition.
                             Use mkfs.ext4 to format, though, not parted.
and you should see it all. I may be wrong with the size, it may be 13.8TB,
or something. Prompts may or may not be helpful (I did say it was user
surly). When you quit, it writes - it is *not* like fdisk, which gave you
the option of quit or write.

Use ext4. The tools for ext3 have a lot of trouble with something this
size, and will take for-bloody-ever.

        mark