P.S. - RE: [redhat-list] updates pending question

Alfred Hovdestad alfred.hovdestad at usask.ca
Fri May 10 15:28:27 UTC 2013

On 10/05/13 07:27 AM, Constance Morris wrote:
> [...]

Hi Constance.

The ssh and sftp commands should belong to the same package,
openssh-clients.  The sshd daemon belongs to the openssh-server package.
  The versions should match (or at least be very close).

 From your other posts I think that your faculty accounts might be in a
chroot environment.  There is an article in the Red Hat Knowledge Base
that describes setting up an sftp-only environment for your faculty.
You can check this by looking for

Match Group sftp

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  This would indicate that any account created
with the default group sftp would be in the chroot environment.  If they
are in a chroot environment that would require that their default shell
and home directory be specified according to the chroot configuration
(-s /bin/false, -d /username [relative to the chroot environment]).

--
Alfred