Launching GUI on RHEL ?

Jonathan Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Fri Oct 4 12:54:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Priyadarshini <epriya2003 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is after reboot, grapghical login is not displayed.
> I tried running command vncserver got output:
>

> New 'z3-9-5-126-154:2 (root)' desktop is z3-9-5-126-154:2
>
> Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
> Log file is /root/.vnc/z3-9-5-126-154:2.log
>
> now, from windows laptop, I am trying to connect using vnc viewer but not
> able to connect.

Some comments:

1.) When you say 'graphical login is not displayed', do you mean you can't
VNC into the host?  Or is it hooked up to a monitor and you can't see
anything on the screen?

2.) You really shouldn't be running the Xvnc as root, and logging in as
root in a graphical environment.  Start as a regular user, and only use
'su' or 'sudo' to run processes with escalated privileges.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support