[redhat-lspp] Re: Initial MLS Label Printing Support

Janak Desai janak at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 16 18:19:24 UTC 2005

Steve Grubb wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 13:30, Janak Desai wrote:
>
>>Just verified that the lpr client opens and reads the file, reads it to
>>a buffer, creates a connection to cups server using a socket and transfers
>>the file to the server by writing the buffer to the socket.
>

> So what label does the socket have? FDP_ETC.2.2 seems to say that exported
> data should have the data's label.

The socket is labeled with the label of the creating process, which is the
standard BLP thing of objects inheriting the label of the process that
creates them. I am not sure how we handle FDP_ETC.2.2. We would need
trusted networking extensions where you can label individual network
packets or we have to manipulate the socket label before sending the
file.

-Janak