[redhat-lspp] Re: Initial MLS Label Printing Support

Janak Desai janak at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 16 18:05:01 UTC 2005

Casey Schaufler wrote:

> --- Janak Desai <janak at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't quite get the logic. Who created these
>>unclassified files with one word each of TS message?
>

> How about the TS user, while logged in at UNCLASS?
> How about the TS user uses grep to find them?
> How about there are about 60 million ways they
> could get created and found?

But then why not print the file while logged
in at UNCLASS?

>>A TS process can't, so for the above a TS process
>>will have to rely on such unclassified files
>>already present with the right message in them.
>

> That is correct.
>

>>Also, would you extend this logic to other
>>export functions? That is, if a TS process makes
>>a backup copy of a file, would it get upgraded
>>to TS?
>

> Yes. Absolutely. Without question.

Ok, after reading my question again I realized that
I didn't clarify what I meant. I meant to
say a backup copy on a floppy or tape. Would that
also be upgraded to TS? If that's the case then
backup/restore programs shouldn't worry about
preserving labels, and backup everything at the
level of the process.

-Janak