[redhat-lspp] Re: [Patch] SE Linux audit events

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Wed Dec 7 13:42:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 08:26 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 08:11, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > The code itself looks fine to me, but the patch is whitespace damaged
> > (you often have to take special steps when inlining a patch if using a
> > "user-friendly" mail client, as it will helpfully reformat it for you b
> > default; look for a Preformat or similar setting).
>
> I usually have a similar problem when I apply inlined patches sent to these
> mail lists. The code gets boogered up with =20 and =3D all over the place.
> That is why I prefer attachments.

I don't think it is a list problem (I have been able to apply inlined
patches previously from these lists, I think), just mail client
misbehavior/misconfiguration.  As I said, look for a preformat style or
similar in your mail client to disable formatting prior to inserting the
patch, and make sure you don't gpg-sign your message.  Or use a
different client.

Attachments avoid the reformatting problem, but make review and
commenting harder, which is the real purpose of posting it to the list
in the first place.  You want to minimize/eliminate any extra steps that
have to be taken by would-be reviewers in order to make the most
efficient use of their time and increase the likelihood of review.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency