[redhat-lspp] Objects

schaufler-ca.com - Casey Schaufler casey at schaufler-ca.com
Mon Sep 19 20:12:36 UTC 2005

Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> I found a new system resource that might be considered an object. There is a
> new api for managing keys in the kernel. The keys can be for a thread
>
> process, session, user, or group. It is manipulated via keyctl. I was
> wondering if this needs to be labeled and treated like any other object?

If there are interfaces by which unprivileged users
can manipulate these things then they are objects.

> Also, how do we feel about signals? They are used as IPC mechanisms and there
> are DAC checks before allowing the signal to be delivered. Are these labeled?
> Would these be considered objects? Would it be reasonable to protect secure
> apps from being sent a signal from any old root process?

The kill(2) system call writes to the target process.
Whether you're writing attributes or data is a matter
of modelling taste. The subject is the sending process.
The object is the kill(2)ed process object. The label
of the object is the label of the kill(2)ed process.
Or at least that's the way we did it for Unix evaluations.

Casey Schaufler
casey at schaufler-ca.com
650.906.1780