[redhat-lspp] Re: newrole, UID change, etc

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 12:55:39 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 17:28, Russell Coker wrote:
> The effort and inconvenience of running the extra command with the extra
> authentication step.

I don't believe LSPP is about convenience. Its a PITA right now. I think
newrole was created so that this stuff wouldn't need to be added to su. So,
if you add setting uid to newrole, changing roles should have been added to
su a long time ago.

> If we aren't going to support changing UID and role at the same time
> then IMHO the only viable alternative is to have multiple accounts with
> UID==0, which is a gross hack.

This is just wrong.

> Did this get discussed in the conference call?  I joined late...

No. The people that needed to discuss it weren't there.

-Steve