[redhat-lspp] kernel bug: fchownat() generates wrong audit record

Thiago Jung Bauermann bauerman at br.ibm.com
Mon Aug 7 18:41:57 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 08:22 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> This just means that either the libc or the kernel lack the support
> for
> the actual fchownat syscall.  The emulation code is using chown on
> files
> in /proc/self/fd and this is what you see here.

Ok, that explains it. If I call fchownat using
syscall(__NR_fchownat, ...), the audit record is generated correctly.

The problem then is that the emulation code is being used when it
shouldn't, since the kernel supports the fchownat syscall, and glibc is
version 2.4.90 which should support that syscall too, right?

> The one thing that is wrong is that /proc/self/fd/3/test.txt doesn't
> exist.  The "files" in /proc/*/fd are something like symlinks.

Is this fixable?

Regards,
Thiago Jung Bauermann
Software Engineer