[redhat-lspp] mls level to without classification

James Morris jmorris at redhat.com
Tue Aug 22 23:20:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Joe Nall wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2006, at 11:43 AM, George C. Wilson wrote:
>
> > Is it acceptable to make use of the old controls for the certified
> > configuration?  Or must we migrate to secmark?  We want to avoid
> > having to
> > document and test secmark so that we don't increase the scope of
> > the TOE.
>
> Two questions:
>   1) Without secmark, is it possible to label an IP address?

Yes.  You can label 'nodes' (addr/mask), ports and interfaces.

>   2) If secmark is present and enabled in RH5, how do you
>      remove it from the TOE? By administrative fiat or real
>      code change?

You can disable secmark controls at boot or runtime:

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

        selinux_compat_net =
                        [SELINUX] Set initial selinux_compat_net flag value.
                        Format: { "0" | "1" }
                        0 -- use new secmark-based packet controls
                        1 -- use legacy packet controls
                        Default value is 0 (preferred).
                        Value can be changed at runtime via
                        /selinux/compat_net.