[redhat-lspp] LSPP Development Telecon 08/21/2006 Minutes

Loulwa Salem loulwas at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 22 04:02:57 UTC 2006

08/21/2006 lspp Meeting Minutes:
===============================
   Attendees

   Robin Redden (IBM) - RR
   Janak Desai (IBM) - JD
   George Wilson (IBM) - GW
   Loulwa Salem (IBM) - LS
   Michael Thompson (IBM) - MT
   Joy Latten (IBM) - JL
   Thiago Bauermann (IBM) - TB
   Serge Hallyn (IBM) - SH
   Al Viro (Red Hat) - AV
   Irina Boverman (Red Hat) - IB
   Lisa Smith (HP) - LMS
   Amy Griffis (HP) - AG
   Matt Anderson (HP) - MA
   Klaus Weidner (Atsec) - KW
   Robert (Atsec) - ROB
   Darrel Goeddel (TCS) - DG
   Chad Hanson (TCS) - CH
   Joe Nall - JN
   Bill O'Donnel (SGI) - BO

Tentative Agenda:

     GW: So while we are still waiting on Steve, one thing I wanted to talk
	about, is how many meetings do we need to have going forward since
	development is almost taken care of. It's just something to think about.
     IB: Steve is going to be on in a bit he said.

Kernel / Rawhide update
------------------------
     GW: any kernel updates Al
     AV: no news
     GW: Good, what I was expecting. As far as I know all development is in
	rawhide now
     IB: yes, I know all patches are in rawhide and probably going to be in beta
	1
     GW: ok great, now we don't have to keep asking Steve to build kernels for us
     JN: any userland patches included in rawhide?
     IB: no just kernel stuff
     GW: I was hoping Joy could make this call. I saw a note when TCS sent one
	patch to joy for incorporation with the userland patches she is working
	on.
     JL: I am here George
     GW: Do you have status on ipsec userland Joy?
     JL: not now, I've been stuck in kernel land
     GW: did you get a patch from Venkat?
     JL: yes he sent it.

SELinux base update
-------------------
     GW: is Dan on, or anyone has news on base selinux. I Hope this development
	is done also.
     IB: yes, I know he is working with Steve on fixing bugs.
     GW: I assume policy bug fixes is last thing to do. Anyone has any policy
	issues to bring up? I think once we get into roles, we might face some
	issues later.
     KW: I am not sure if anyone did any end to end testing with labeled
	networking, see if labels to network are propagated correctly. I think
	these need to be integrated together
     GW: I think this is what Joe was pointing to. We need to get end to end
	testing. ssh end to end is the most interesting whether done with xinetd
	or not, I prefer without. We also need to provide some example policy \
	for networking.
     JL: right, but we never got that far, since we had basic problems with
	getting IPsec working with the policy
     GW: need to do that testing. Once again xinetd previous patch not what we
	would have hoped it to be a more complete implementation. That limited
	the amount of testing people can do. I take klaus' point as very
	important. we need to try and test now before we get deep in testing and
	it's too late to fix issues.

Print
-----
     GW: I didn't go through my mail yet. Matt, if you give us a quick synopsis
	on print, that would be great.
     MA: sure, I opened a bugzilla (bug # 203376) this morning, and saw it was
	incorporated into rawhide within half an hour, I was very impressed. I
	also sent a patch to RH and it will be incorporated in cups.1.2.2-14 for
	the audit fail feature. Also when a user prints something, the title for
	the print job is captured, this was in response to users asking to audit
	filename, the problem is filename can't be trusted, so since title
	defaults to filename, then that was part of the audit record. Also there
	were some wholes in auditing overrides, the code around that has been
	updates, and all audit overrides are audited correctly now. There is
	still a problem in mls enforcing to verify access to print device.
	Before it was working when I was running as root sysadm_r role. From
	talking to people on #selinux and mailing list, we came up with a
	solution, so I need to add that in. The latest version should have all
	audit records reporting all the right things. I also posted docs on
	how to set up a print server. people should take a look at that and send
	feedback please.
     GW: great, thanks. If that's all with print, let's move on to CIPSO

CIPSO
------
     MA: Paul is still on vacation.
     GW: That was mostly a question for Irena, is it going to make it in beta?
     IR: It is in rawhide and marked as a beta blocker; means it needs to go
	through reviews and either accepted or rejected. if accepted it'll be
	part of beta 1, if rejected then it'll be part of beta 2. The decision
	will be made tomorrow or Thursday
     GW: how will secmark be supported? Stephen Smalley posted something about
	having some problems with it. what's RH position on secmark when using
	evaluated configurations. Is it going to be a must have, or will we be
	working around it. This is with respect to node and net-if, mostly a
	net-if issue. whether we really need these controls in the evaluated
	configuration. This maybe a mailing list question, not sure if anyone
	here knows the answer.
     IB: I don't have an answer, so I would sat put on the list
     SH: are those even needed. we already have controls
     GW: Right, and that's why I am not convinced we need it. this is more like a
	firewall type control
     JN: I don't know if there is a way to specify anything, you are either all
	CIPSO or not. Sometimes that was a problem for us
     GW: right, so you use firewall to control that.
     JN: no, with if-sec some hosts are multilevel, some single level, with
	CIPSO, it's all or nothing. It might have been addressed in later
	version but I'm not sure.
     GW: so you don't have the granularity you need
     JN: right
     GW: part of the question is to see if we need it or not. and if we do need
	then, then we also need to document it to achieve that control over
	granularity. I'll post to the list. What's the compatibility vs. using
	secmark, and what's the impact if we have to document secmark.
     JN: another issue that developers face is that documentation about secmark,
	cipso, and if-sec hasn't matured as fast as the code, and it's hard to
	point someone to docs on how to setup things.
     GW: yes, it is certainly an issue for us and HP since we have a big pile of
	documentation that we need to go write. One issue is that secmark came
	in late, James warned us about it, but we didn't realize the impact it
	had for rhel5. we can say that it is not needed, but that doesn't seem
	to be an option, or we can run in compatibility mode, but RH won't seem
	to want to support two things. it causes us and you pain since you don't
	know how the final system will be like. I'll take action to point that
	to the list and come up with resolution. Hopefully it won't be too bad,
	but the documentation impact scares us.But I definitely hear you on
	documentation, we need to make the info available to be able for us to
	all use it.

ipsec-tools:  SPD dump and racoon base + MLS
     GW: we touched on IPsec a bit, and the thing that goes on both is xinetd.
	Irena, you know how far has Steve gotten with that.
     IB: all I know is that he is working on it.
     JN: I think we have a work around for not having DAC control by doing
	something like that in the ... we'll be ok on that.
     GW: are you gonna open source that
     CH: I doubt anyone needs that. I was looking into the work that steve was
	doing and looking into applying patches to that.
     GW: maybe no one else is interested in that. Were you able to do any testing
	with that
     CH: I made connection to different levels and telneted to machine to make it
	work. It wasn't an end to end test but that it just worked.
     GW: The proof will be in ssh. I imagine that alot of people will care about
	it.
     GW: what is the status of all userspace stuff. Joy, what's the patch that
	venkat sent you
     JL: it allows racoon to negotiate MLS labels. I need to integrate it in
	there. I'll try and get that out soon, but I got stuck in the kernel
	part for a while.
     GW: ok, no problem. Anyone has a read on the SPD dump issue. I know it is
	not as serious as most of the other issues we have, but if you want to
	manage SPD database, you would need a query on it. If we need to address
	SPD dump, the we need to do that soon. Any other ipsec or cipso?
     JL: I downloaded the latest rawhide, and couldn't even run regular IPsec. I
	got kernel oops and just couldn't get it working at all. I am using
	targeted permissive so there shouldn't be any selinux permission
	problems. I can't even get it to ping. I opened a bugzilla for that
     GW: You have the bugzilla number Joy?
     JL: it's our internal bugzilla
     GW: Ok, request mirroring to RH on that, also cc Irena and Steve
     JL: It worked for lspp.44 kernel, but not rawhide
     IB: what about Venkat. Does he know?
     JL: I thought CIPSO was enabled in rawhide, but I thought it was also
	enabled in .44 kernel. Maybe something changed. Is the only way to
	disable it, to not compile it in.
     GW: I don't know
     JL: I changed the configs of my kernel, and I am building it again to
	eliminate that
     GW: sounds like a reasonable approach, to eliminate stuff
     IB: I am hesitating to put it in beta 1 if it is not working at all. We need
	to resolve that quickly other wise it won't go in beta 1
     GW: which rawhide was the one you used joy?
     JL: the one I downloaded it Friday
     JN: can you send your instructions and configs on how you are testing, so we
	can try it.
     GW: yes, that would be good, since this is a beta blocker. Send out what
	you've been doing to set up the systems and test so we can try it too.
     JL: ok, I'll send it to the mailing list, shouldn't be hard, right now I am
	running regular IPsec
     JN: I am particularly interested in propagating labels. but I can also try
	the regular. also please put the kernel version you are running so we
	have all the right info
     JL: I'll send the info to lspp list
     GW: when do we need to get that fixed Irena
     IB: as soon as possible. Is Venkat aware of this, is he back from vacation?
     GH: Venkat just got back
     IB: not sure if anyone tried it since it was put in rawhide, we used James
	Morris' code changes.
     GW: looks like joy is the first to test it. we need to see if this is
	something happening on other people's boxes and get started on
	debugging, hopefully this will be a glaring problem with a simple fix.
	Joy are you gonna try to recreate it.
     JL: yes, I opened a bug and put on there how to recreate it, but I'll also
	send that out. it is basic IPsec configurations
     GW: did you get stack trace out of that, where did it die
     JL: yes, it died at skp_to_sgp(??), where it does the encryption.. not even
	sure it even dies there. I know there has been lots of changes in
	transform code in past few days
     GW: hard to say, since there are many patches on top of that
     JL: yeah, I need to look at it more.
     GW: need to look at patch set against vanilla kernel or against patch
	kernel.
     JL: it's an odd place, something tells me it is not the real problem
     GW: have you tried with vanilla kernel
     JL: good idea, I'll try that.
     GW: if anyone else has any suggestions
     IB: once joy will post the info on the list, I'll send it to james morris
	and have him look at it.
     GW: great, since this is a critical problem, we need to focus on it. Joy
	what arch were you on?
     JL: good question, it's Pseries (ppc64) and I didn't try it on anything
	else.

Single-user mode
-----------------
     GW: dan was negotiating to get changes into rc-sysinit . you know Irena if
	he was successful
     IB: I couldn't find him before the meeting to ask him
     GW: I assume he did, just thought I'd check.

Self tests
-----------
     GW: I actually made some changes to that, I encapsulated the code in
	classes, and I will go back and get more things done on that. I'll get
	that out soon

VFS polyinstantiation
----------------------
     GW: Janak any news on polyinstantiation
     JD: I sent a patch to Stephen Smalley, he sent me an email with couple of
	problems, one was a resource leak and another is restructuring of some
	code, I am working on that and will be sending an updated patch in next
	couple of days. The one I sent out is working but has a couple of
	problems. Now with the patch you can use newrole and get your
	directories polyinstantiated
     GW: did you get time to test cron with mail wrapper.
     JD: no, we have few people waiting for cron to get done, and we'll be
	testing once it is done
     GW: Thanks for the update. from what I hear, remaining task will be
	addressed with bugs. steve has list of things to be done on audit

Cron, tmpwatch, mail, etc.
--------------------------

Bugs / remaining tasks
-----------------------

Final cutoff date
-----------------
     GW: what is the final final cutoff date. I know it's ASAP, but what is drop
	dead date.
     IB: for features, if not by beta 1, it won't be accepted unless for stuff we
	discussed. we'll keep fixing bugs and people need to continue testing.
	we need to test rawhide. I hope cipso is working
     MA: Paul was working on issue with it dropping packages
     IB: yes, he had two bugs and we have suggested solutions.
     MA: I think if there are no more bugs then he is not aware of any
     JN: I'll try to post a test case to that in next couple of days.
     IB: to answer questions, talk to developers on lspp list. The only way for
	me to track those issues is through bugzilla.
     GW: what I am hearing, if you need anything to get fixed, then you better be
	writing bugs, put alot of effort into testing.
     IB: We are relying on project and community to test it as well
     GW: certainly our focus has been and will be that. As we wrap development,
	testing becomes our focus, besides bug fixes

Further meetings
-----------------
     GW: brings question, since development is winding down, do we still need
	those meeting
     IB: still need at least one meeting, since many developers are missing from
	this one
     GW: ok, but I do see an end finally in site. and I'll work on my self tests
     LS: I have an issue with audit, wanted to ask Steve. Basically you can add a
	two watches on same path one with a filterkey and one without or with
	different filterkey. Before when we needed to delete a watch a '-W path'
	was sufficient, but now you need the filterkey to differentiate which
	watch. why would you need to have two watches on same path, is that
	needed, is this what the intention of auditctl is?
     MT: I don't see it needed, no point in having two watches on same path, one
	with key and one without.
     GW: yes, doesn't make sense
     LS: I'll send out an email about that to steve
     MT: and audit mailing list as well.
     GW: ok, so if no other issues, then we'll adjourn. Thank you all.