[redhat-lspp] pam_namespace is broken from an SELinux perspective.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 16:17:44 UTC 2006

I am trying to fix the problems with polyinstatiation and SELinux Policy
in MLS.

I have found that the way pam_namespace works is broken from an SELinux
point of view.

If I setup the /tmp directory to polyinstatiate and I log in as a
staff_t, I end up with /tmp mounted as staff_tmp_t instead of tmp_t.
This is wrong, since confined apps that I run as a user expect tmp_t.

Similarly /home/dwalsh gets mounted as staff_home_t instead of
staff_home_dir_t.  This causes all of the transitions to fail.

The problem is the pam_namespace is asking the system if staff_t creates
a directory in tmp_t how should it be created.  The system responds
staff_tmp_t.  What pam_namespace should be doing is taking the directory
tmp_t and replacing it's MLS level with the level of the user.  That is all.

So staff_t loging in as s0:c1
will end up with /tmp being
system_u:object_r:tmp_t:s0:c1
And /home/dwalsh
system_u:object_r:staff_home_dir_t:s0:c1

I am trying out a patched version of pam_namespace to see if this fixes
the problem.

Am I makeing the correct assumption.