[redhat-lspp] Comments on Pam-Namspace

Janak Desai janak at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 23 18:44:13 UTC 2006

Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> I now have pam_namespace working with MLS policy, for the /tmp and
> /var/tmp directory
>
> We need to change the namespace.conf file to be
>
> /tmp /tmp/.inst-$USER-   both root,adm
> /var/tmp/.inst-$USER-   both root,adm
> #$HOME $HOME/.inst-      context
>
> Why have the first two commented out?  I think you put pam_namespace
> in the /etc/pam.d file you get /tmp and /var/tmp automatically.

Ok, I will change the conf file accordingly.

> Also by default for the instance directory should be a subdirectory of
> the parent.

Agreed. I will update the config file and the README appropriately.

> As far as the polyinstantiation of the home dir.  Shouldn't this only
> happen on none SystemLow contexts?
>
> I turned it on and my homedir disappeared which seems strange.

This is under the control of the policy. The namespace module calls
security_compute_member library
function and expects the policy to return appropriate member directory
context. This member directory
context is then used for instance directory.

> Why do we still use the MD5sum for the directory name.  Why not just
> use the level?  Would make it easier to figure out what is going on.

I was using MD5 hashes to try and obscure the directory name. However,
now that I know that if
someone really wants to figure out the context, they can, even if the
name is hashed. So I can
remove the use of hash or make it configurable (if anyone still sees any
benefit of using it).

Will make these changes after I return from the symposium ..

-Janak