[redhat-lspp] Labeling CUPS printers / queues

Matt Anderson mra at hp.com
Fri Jul 28 21:54:03 UTC 2006

Eduardo Madeira Fleury wrote:
> I haven't been able to figure out how to give MLS labels to printers / printer
> queues in CUPS; the problem is CUPS don't bind printers to /dev/ devices thus
> I don't know what should I label.
>
> Does anybody have any clues?

For the evaluation we are only planning on supporting local printers.
Networked printers have the problem that you are unable to ensure label
integrity while the data is traveling over the network.  With
exclusively local printers there is a /dev device associated with each
printer.  Then it is possible to just use chcon to set the range on the
device.

-matt