[redhat-lspp] Re: LSPP Development Telecon 06/19/2006 Minutes

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 26 14:13:21 UTC 2006

Quoting Daniel Lezcano (dlezcano at fr.ibm.com):

> >>By the way, having the same IP address for several containers, how will be
> >>possible to do container migration ?
> >

> >It depends on the circumstances.  In general having several containers
> >with the
> >same IP address is a bad idea.  But if you have a setup where you can
> >do it safely there is nothing preventing that setup from working between
> >machines, so it is neither a positive or a negative from a migration
> >standpoint.
>
> What about the clients connected to the different containers ? For
> example, you have 100 containers, all are configured with 192.168.1.100
> and have an application binded to INADDR_ANY:80.

Remember that the usage we're talking about here adds a new selector,
the security label, which will uniquely identify each container.

> In front of that, you have 100 clients. Each of them are connected to
> the application running in each container.
> One container is migrated to another machine on the network, it is not
> possible to keep the same address, so the address is changed to

Hmm, why?

Note that the idea of checkpointing and migrating a LSPP certified
system gets a little scary, and I'm not sure anyone would ever dare do
that, but still I'm not clear on why this system couldn't keep it's
address.

> 192.168.1.200. The clients connected to 192.168.1.100 will lose the
> communication.

-serge