[redhat-lspp] semanage login -a vs useradd

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu May 4 14:28:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 10:19 -0400, Knoke, Jim (US SSA) wrote:
> I've missed a lot of history....is there already an accepted design for
> whether the user's home directory is created as multi-level or
> polymorphic, if the user is allowed to run at multiple sensitivity
> levels? How that setup would be changed if the user's clearance is later
> changed? Whether a .rc file created in the home directory by an app can
> be reused when the user starts the same app at a different sensitivity
> level?

pam_namespace is intended to provide the mechanism for polyinstantiating
user home directories into per-level directories and bind mounting the
right instance when the user logs in.  So you don't actually need to
label the home directory with a particular MLS level when the user is
added.  pam_namespace has a way to populate a newly created per-level
directory via a script, but you have to configure how you want that to
work.  Privileged applications also have the possibility of unmounting
the instance and gaining access to other per-level directories if
authorized by policy, e.g. to see a lower level file, but that doesn't
apply to general applications.  For that, you'd need a union
directory-like mechanism to present a unified view of the per-level
directories.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency