Fwd: Re: [redhat-lspp] CUPS w/ Matt's config in RHEL5 not printing?

Matt Anderson mra at hp.com
Wed Nov 15 22:01:00 UTC 2006

Eduardo Madeira Fleury wrote:
> On Monday 06 November 2006 17:09, you wrote:
>> You should still be getting the SELinux deny on the printer since the
>> needed constraint wasn't in the policy.  I got an update on my bugzilla
>> and the constraint will be included starting with the selinux policy
>> 2.4.3-1 rpm.
>
> Thanks, so that's a matter of waiting for another refresh.

I still need to look through the updated cups policy.  In my testing on
selinux-policy-mls 2.4.3-13 I'm still not seeing the behavior I'm
expecting so I need to look at the source and put a patch together to
send to Dan Walsh.

>> As for the usb://Lexmark/T630 URI printers without /dev/ in their URI
>> are not checked for file system permissions before the job is sent.
>> Your admin guide should specify that printers MUST be created with the
>> /dev/usb/lp* style URI.
>
> Yes, I remember that discussion, actually I used the Manufacturer/Model URI
> only to try to isolate the problem.

I dug deeper into this, it seems that the usb backend is eventually
failing because it is running into DAC permission failure when trying to
access the printer.  By changing the "Group sys" line in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf to "Group lp" the usb backend will no longer get
permission denied.

>> From the error you are seeing it sounds like the pstops filter is having
>> trouble with your postscript document.  If you revert the config files
>> to their defaults do you still see that problem?
>
> No, if I revert the config files the printer works fine. Actually, reversing
> only mime.convs and mime.types is enough for it to work, and banner pages are
> printed fine also.

This is because the LSPP mime.* files make use of pstopdf as a filter,
which requires ghostscript in order to run.  Including ghostscript in
the LSPP kickstart install will eliminate this problem.

Klaus: if you could make the following changes I this issue will be
resolved:
1) In lspp-config/bin/lspp-eal4-config.in around line 218 change
 < aGroup sys
 ---
 > aGroup lp

2) Add the package ghostscript to packages-common.cfg

-matt