Fwd: Re: [redhat-lspp] CUPS w/ Matt's config in RHEL5 not printing?

Matt Anderson mra at hp.com
Thu Nov 16 16:37:42 UTC 2006

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 17:01 -0500, Matt Anderson wrote:
>> I dug deeper into this, it seems that the usb backend is eventually
>> failing because it is running into DAC permission failure when trying to
>> access the printer.  By changing the "Group sys" line in
>> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to "Group lp" the usb backend will no longer get
>> permission denied.
>
> You should find that taking out that 'Group' line altogether fixes the
> problem as well.  Why did 'Group sys' end up in the cupsd.conf file?
> Could it be that some KDE tool put it in there (I have a vague
> recollection that it does..)?

The line was added during the evaluated configuration post-install.  We
have a sed script which runs over /etc/cups/cupsd.conf setting:

Browsing off
Classification mls
ClassifyOverride no
RunAsUser Yes
User lp
Group lp

and also disabling listening on localhost:631

This disables administrating the system over the web interface which we
need because of the limited authentication/auditing which can take place
there.  If you are aware of any other possible issues we may face with
this configuration please let us know.

-matt