[redhat-lspp] Behavior of groupdel question

Loulwa Salem loulwas at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 2 16:04:12 UTC 2006

Hi,
I was trying running a regression groupdel test from our audit test suite and
noticed the following behavior

when executing groupdel, unexpected return codes are returned.

The behavior I get now is as follows (I tried this manually per steps below):

1- execute groupdel as non root on non existing group
# /usr/sbin/groupdel blahgroup
  groupdel: group blahgroup does not exist
# echo $?
  6

2- Create a group (as root) then try to delete it as non root
# groupadd mygroup		(Running as root)
# exit				(go back to regular user)
# /usr/sbin/groupdel mygroup
  groupdel: unable to lock group file
# echo $?
  10

The groupdel man pages document the "10" exit code as "can't update group file",
but there is no return code "6".

Is the behavior above what we expect?
Shouldn't a regular user be denied to execute groupdel regardless if group
exists or not (with permission denied exit code)? At least that's what our test
expected in the past.

I am running shadow_utils-4.0.16-3 and Michael tried this on version 4.0.17-5 as
well and saw the same behavior.

Thanks,
- Loulwa