[redhat-lspp] Re: passwd issues through ssh

Klaus Heinrich Kiwi klausk at br.ibm.com
Thu Jan 4 14:06:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:55:39 -0200, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi wrote:

> When I try to use 'passwd' through ssh (non-interactive, shell-less
> session), the command appears to hang until a Ctrl+C is pressed:
> Bug? 'Feature'?

Ok, so this is probably a 'feature' (will research why later, for now, I'm
using '-t' but still can't get it working 'right')

-bash-3.1$ ssh -tt abat at localhost passwd
Could not create directory '/home/abat/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host 'localhost (127.0.0.1)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is cd:1c:d9:58:42:e6:a8:a4:17:42:bb:34:4d:82:86:2c.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/abat/.ssh/known_hosts).
Password:
Changing password for user abat.
Changing password for abat
(current) UNIX password:

You can now choose the new password or passphrase.

A valid password should be a mix of upper and lower case letters,
digits, and other characters.  You can use a 12 character long
password with characters from at least 3 of these 4 classes, or
an 8 character long password containing characters from all the
classes.  An upper case letter that begins the password and a
digit that ends it do not count towards the number of character
classes used.

A passphrase should be of at least 3 words, 16 to 40 characters
long and contain enough different characters.

Alternatively, if noone else can see your terminal now, you can
pick this as your password: "sharp_strait_drown".

Enter new password:
Weak password: is the same as the old one.
Try again.

You can now choose the new password or passphrase.

A valid password should be a mix of upper and lower case letters,
digits, and other characters.  You can use a 12 character long
password with characters from at least 3 of these 4 classes, or
an 8 character long password containing characters from all the
classes.  An upper case letter that begins the password and a
digit that ends it do not count towards the number of character
classes used.

A passphrase should be of at least 3 words, 16 to 40 characters
long and contain enough different characters.

Alternatively, if noone else can see your terminal now, you can
pick this as your password: "better;butt:rid".

Enter new password:
Weak password: is the same as the old one.
Try again.

You can now choose the new password or passphrase.

A valid password should be a mix of upper and lower case letters,
digits, and other characters.  You can use a 12 character long
password with characters from at least 3 of these 4 classes, or
an 8 character long password containing characters from all the
classes.  An upper case letter that begins the password and a
digit that ends it do not count towards the number of character
classes used.

A passphrase should be of at least 3 words, 16 to 40 characters
long and contain enough different characters.

Alternatively, if noone else can see your terminal now, you can
pick this as your password: "stout:sock!gloss".

Enter new password:
Weak password: is the same as the old one.

passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

(after that, the terminal gets completely locked-up - Can't Ctrl+C, Ctrl+Z
nothing.. had to kill the ssh client...

Any ideas?