[redhat-lspp] LSPP Development Telecon 01/29/2007 Minutes

Loulwa Salem loulwas at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 31 16:13:07 UTC 2007

I think I confused voices in these notes, so feel free to correct me if I
attributed something to you that you didn't say.

01/29/2007 lspp Meeting Minutes:
===============================
   Attendees

   George Wilson (IBM) - GW
   Lawrence Wilson (IBM) - LW
   Kris Wilson (IBM) - KEW
   Loulwa Salem (IBM) - LS
   Michael Thompson (IBM) - MT
   Joy Latten (IBM) - JL
   Kylene J Hall (IBM) - KH
   Irina Boverman (Red Hat) - IB
   Steve Grubb (Red Hat) - SG
   Dan Walsh (Red Hat) - DW
   James Antill (Red Hat) - JA
   Lisa Smith (HP) - LMS
   Linda Knippers (HP) - LK
   Matt Anderson (HP) - MA
   Paul Moore (HP) - PM
   Klaus Weidner (Atsec) - KW
   Chad Hanson (TCS) - CH
   Joe Nall - JN
   Ted Toth - TT

Tentative Agenda:

Kernel / Beta / rawhide update
===============================
     GW: Thank you Paul for the loopback fix patch
     PM: Was joy gonna do stress testing on that. I want to stress it is a proof
	of concept patch so probably there is stuff missing. I posted that to
	spur some discussion. It won't surprise me if it breaks once you test
	with it
     JL: I am hoping for good results
     PM: I noticed other issues other than racoon. The SA in phase two, there is
	no directionality since src and dst address are the same, it is unusual
	so I don't know the ramifications of that.
     JL: I looked at your code and it is the same places I was looking at. when I
	was playing with manual stuff, I only needed one SA and it didn't need
	direction. I had 1 SA and it worked both ways. so i think it's going to
	be ok
     PM: only thing that concerns me is sequence number and window. it is
	loopback so you are guaranteed delivery
     JL: I'll look at seq number. To be honest, I'm thinking who cares about seq
	number on loopback. but I'll look. I think seq number was to make sure
	we are not forging packets
     PM: if there are lots of senders and receivers, what happens in that window
	will we have packet loss
     JL: I'll look at that. To be honest I'm not sure we need to be concerned. I
	think seq number is optional sometimes that's why I'm saying it might
	not matter. So let's just make sure
     PM: Ok thank you
     GW: that's extremely good for everybody .thanks Paul. How is current kernel
	looking
     LS: it's good I'm using it. I have not seen any problems so far
     GW: how is networking
     JL: yes, it's looking good for me too
     GW: with current policy and 18 kickstart, if I applied updated packages
	during post install phase system rebooted instead of panic-ing, so it's
	good. Now I don't get console login prompt. I'll look at that more. I
	don't see AVC either. anyone else not seen console prompt?
     LK: I've seen that problem on ia64 on first boot. just on the console
     PM: I think I've seen it as well
     DW: is there a getty for that
     GW: there is a getty on console as far as I can tell. I'll look into it
	more.
     DW: 2 things to check, check the getty and check the device is labeled
	correctly.
     GW: good point since it is a hvc0
     DW: it might be problem ...
     GW: I'll look into that since this is a virtual console
     LK: if you reboot system, it'll be fine .. that's why it's weird. I went to
	single user mode and it came back
     DW: the console came back
     LK: yes, also even though you don't get prompt, I can still log in to the
	system
     JA: when this happens is it running first boot graphical?
     GW: I don't think so. is it even running on first boot?
     JA: depends on your kickstart
     MA: if it is a java console ...
     KW: I've run it on VM ware and I don't see that, so I don't think it is
	related to that.
     LK: I'll try to reproduce
     GW: I tried to look at AVC . on first boot you can't log in as admin
	anywhere. so it becomes alot more of pain. but we are making progress we
	can reboot without panic-ing. Any other issues?

SELinux base and MLS policy update
     MA: there were other categories that worked .. weren't those merged together
     KW: it wasn't doing that with some others
     DW: if I have two categories defined it translates the entire string
     KW: I think it would make sense to give translation to each label. if it is
	supposed to do that then it should work
     DW: you still need to do it for each sensitivity, which is more than desired
     KW: people at lower level don't need to see higher levels. It gets
	translated, but other libraries don't agree on syntax
     LK: can someone log in with raw context? should they be able to
     KW: translation should be at user interface level. I am slightly surprised,
	it is using sometimes the translated and sometimes the raw context
     DW: I'll look into it now that I have more info
     KW: mostly it is related to specific ones.
     DW: library might be broken
     KW: might be too late to change that. I feel more comfortable if tools use
	the translated level all the time
     DW: everything should be translated to raw
     KW: be careful when you are testing that because successful and unsuccessful
	ssh attempt look ok
     GW: so you are advocating not being able to use translation on login
     KW: should be a convenience but not affect security
     MT: what's the fallout
     KW: ...
     DW: maybe ssh is broken, I'll figure out what's going on
     MT: just for my info. going forward there was talk about defining
	categories, individual components but not entire context. Is that still
	the case?
     CH: that would be wonderful.
     MT: the permutations get big, so I see that as being useful
     DW: is A,B the same as B,A
     MT: should be sanitized. categories are independent listing
     CH: raw context has to be same
     PM: question are the compartments related to each other if c1 c2 c7 are
	set, by convention they will display to user in order
     DW: access decision is fine
     KW: currently it allows us to give range of categories. if someone comes
	along and renumbers things, a tool might include things that you might
	not have expected. admin shouldn't use category ranges
     DW: I don't think you can use ranges. only reason I say this is that the
	whole system would break. there is way to translate and it can
	definitely use smarter engine
     MA: and what about changing your translated file
     KW: polyinstantiation uses translated labels. it is something people need to
	be aware of that their home dirs may go away.
     MT: it should be changed to use raw
     PM: there was same discussion for s-tar. stephen smalley came out and said
	he likes translated context than raw since it makes more sense
     CH: it might make sense especially if you have different numbering schema
     JN: polyinstantiated dirs used to translate names ..
     JA: do we have any translation which have / in them
     JN: in the us government on labels it has / all over the place
     LK: is there a need to have context as part of directory name
     MA: this came up in last SELinux symposium.
     JA: that should give you usability plus it is guaranteed unique
     GW: hashed would be safest
     PM: I understand this is convenient but how often is it done
     KW: there is no reason why security user logged in as secret can't read his
	unclassified dir.
     LK: if you check file level will you get full context
     KW: kickstart uses level and category to set up polyinstantiation not full
	context. it doesn't need to be fully unique. it's a nice thing it
	doesn't	polyinstantiate based on user name.
     JA: ..
     KW: my gut feeling is keep it way it is with translated format. raw format
	has problems
     JW: right we don't want to move everything to raw
     KW: especially for tools ... it would be better if they use ...
     CH: if old setrans file tried to concatenate A and B together...
     KW: there are 2 different definitions
     CH: translation library says there is no match, so I'll take A and B and put
	comma between them.
     KW: if it uses syntax with commas I expect that to pass
     CH: I would expect that to fail if it can't translate
     KW: seems it can't translate back
     GW: Other issues?
     JL: kylie , lou and I saw we can't so ssh as secadm .. is there a boolean
	for that?
     DW: there is a boolean. you can't specify to secadm?
     KH: I'll check on that
     KW: isn't secadm deprecated in this policy?
     DW: might be a policy issue
     GW: should we expect them to be deprecated
     KW: it is not possible for sysadm to start setrans daemon in enforcing.
     DW: did you run through init?
     KW: yes. I'll send an email
     PM: maybe because it runs as systemHigh
     KH: auditadm works ok, but not secadm.. wait I wasn't in enforcing
     JL: sysadm only works, secadm and auditadm doesn't
     DW: ok, it should be an easy fix.
     JN: has joy changes made it to latest policy?
     DW: I put them in latest
     JL: I sent patch so setkey can look at directories. I sent you patch so
	setkey can't look in user home dirs for config files and such.
     DW: where is user likely to create these things?
     JL: I don't know where. I figured setkey should only run as sysadm, so I
	don't need to be looking in user directories. SO I changed it to look in
	sysadm user dir, /etc/ and maybe /tmp
     DW: Ok, I saw the patch. I'll take another look at it
     KW: problem with setrans, if you use runinit it doesn't seem to know there
	are others running, so it creates another one. It seems to have a pid
	file.
     DW: if you say run-init status what does it show you?
     KW: shows stopped
     DW: so it is not seeing pid file. what is label on pid file
     KW: systemhigh
     PM: what happens if you try to query if you are at systemhigh
     KW: I get no such file or directory for pid file.

PAM and VFS polyinstantiation
==============================

ssh level selection
====================

IPsec localhost, IPv6, 1st packet drop
======================================
     GW: talked about most of networking. first packet drop is not going to get
	fixed anytime soon since it is a big fix. I am wondering the
	ramifications
     JN: I think it is a big impact
     JN: there was email with james morris and he said he had a patch but it
	wasn't ready for prime time. he said I should use openswan. I was
	surprised he did that
     JL: openswan doesn't use native ipsec either
     CH: it does now
     JN: he said if he didn't use pfkey symmantics he didn't see it. I wasn't
	sure
     CH: I think this can't be fixed . if you use netlink
     JL: regardless of socket API .. shouldn't be the same
     CH: I think we still do...
     JN: james said he had patch which fixes blocking packet. even if it is 60 or
	80% solution, it is better than nothing. In our solution I put a check
	and just make it try again, but this is not a solution for 3rd party
	tools
     JA: we can put that in glibc. obviously not the right thing to do
     GW: if we don't do anything, labeled ipsec solution will be useless
     JN: I think it'll be problematic.
     CH: It is not completely useless. it does work, but just has initial setup
	problem
     GW: I think most people are setting VPN tunnels
     IB: is there a defect number.
     JL: I'll open one now
     IB: there are 2 that I can see but not what you are discussing
     GW: joy will open a bug today. Thanks Joy. I am thinking what is this going
	to mean for certification.
     JL: it will be problematic
     SG: what we need is to get bug open and I'll get that to kernel managers and
	see who we can get assigned to it.
     JL: ok, I'll open a bug now and mail number on lspp list
     GW: is there some hope that we can fix this for cert
     JA: if we have to we can input that in glibc
     SG: not sure they would let us do that though
     JA: yeah. just if we have to
     SG: start with a bug and I'll talk to kernel managers. once we have estimate
	we'll decide.
     LK: are you going to open bug for no prompt on first boot george
     GW: yes, I wasn't sure first if it was a real bug
     JN: I think this packet dropped discussion is good
     LK: what kernel are you running Joe
     JN: we have .63 and hacked up version to make racoon work with local host

Self tests / aide
=================
     GW: I've done nothing since last week. been trying to get runcon transitions
	to work, not able to get that to happen from python.
     MA: is runcon supposed to work in mls policy
     GW: it should if you give it sufficient policy. another process is to have
	processes running at high and low beforehand
     DW: it would work if you are changing your policy. so it runs on command
	line, but not in the python
     GW: i get invalid context ..
     DW: how are you doing exec in python
     GW: os.system
     PM: I wonder if that invalid context is cause of your problem
     GW: I can do it on command line ..
     PM: wonder if you are getting bit by that translation problem
     MA: you are using system high and low right, not messing with weird
	combinations.
     GW: yeah .. I think if I give perms to use everything, then it should have
	permission
     PM: does python have its own domain
     DW: no
     LK: there was some stuff on selinux about python recently
     GW: fact that says it can't write to /tmp file is weird
     JA: is that on ..
     DW: is python throwing an exception
     GW: no it is what get puts on stderr. I feel it is coming from runcon
     MA: is your runcon still bin_t
     CH: further testing of translation .. it seems A,B doesn't translate
	backward... there is old definition we had compartment problem. it seems
	translation daemon had smart in it to make A,B valid.
     KW: there are 2 things AB is specific translation, which is not good idea if
	you have to define each combination. second issue is in forward it
	translates A,B but in backward it can't translate, I expect them to be
	reversible
     GW: anything else? ok .. we'll adjourn. I'll post self test results see if
	anyone sees any issues. Thank you all.

Cron
====

Bugs / remaining tasks