(no subject)

Carlos Antonio Gomez cgomez at ceis.cujae.edu.cu
Tue May 25 14:31:42 UTC 2004

I have had a problem for the past 4 months on my RHEL 3 AS server on
which I installed Postfix and Mailman.  After I migrated from Red Hat
7.3, I've not had peace with this server (the RH 7.3 host was running
Postfix and Mailman as well).  I have the server updated with all errata
and I compiled the Fedora SRPM for mailman 1.2.4-4.  I have roughly
1,300 users.

The problem is that the server hangs.  The daemons start to die and the
server only functions at the kernel level.  You can remove the network
cable and it notifies you on the console.  You insert the network cable
and it also notifies you.  If you browse to Webmin, it responds with the
authorization page, but authentication fails because the daemon died.
You can telnet to the server on different ports and it connects, but it
waits for the login banner, etc.

I made a script which logs the load on the server each minute and when I
look at this I realize mailman is the problem.  The load average goes up
to 60% (?) when normally it's only 4%.  I browsed the mailman logs and
for the last few hangs, log entries coincide with mail sent to lists,
but it happens with small or large lists.

<skip explanation of mailing lists>

The hanging of the server is happening whether mail is sent to the small
or large lists.  I've tried troubleshooting the hardware and through
testing I'm able to send mail to the lists and the server hangs, but not
every time.  This makes me thinkg it's not postfix or mailman, but
possibly some other daemon.

I also installed another server for testing with 1,900 users.  Using the
same configuration it does not hang and all email is sent in a timely
fashion.

 "Para ser exitoso no tienes que hacer
   cosas  extraordinarias. Haz cosas
   ordinarias extraordinariamente bien"
  Carlos Antonio  Gómez Brizuela.
  Administrador de la RED del  CEIS
  Estudiante de Informática.
  cgomez_81 at hotmail.com
  ICQ # 192486535
  CUJAE.

Aniversario 40 de la CUJAE

Visite:

XII Convencion de Ingenieria y Arquitectura
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion/