is it possible/difficult to upgrade from RHEL WS to RHEL AS

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Oct 22 17:00:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Donna Hanlon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We bought an academic RHEL AS subscription for myhost1, but didn't buy
> media, because we already had media for myhost2 running RHEL with a
> subscription through Dell.  We installed RHEL on myhost1 -- not
> realizing it was Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon) and our
> subscription was for AS.  So, when I tried to add the system and assign
> the channel, I got "This assignment would exceed your allowed
> subscriptions."
>
> Is there an easy way to upgrade?  If not, how hard is it to install AS
> without CDs (Dell Precision 340)?  We really only need WS, but there is
> no academic WS RHEL.

Grab the redhat-release package from RHN and install it on your machine.
This will make RHN happy. In addition if you have the comps and/or
anaconda packages installed you need to install the equivalent from RHN.

FWIW the only actual difference between the packages on AS/ES/WS/and RHPW
are a few of the server packages plus things like the redhat-release, anaconda
and comps packages. Everything else is the same.

In reality the real diffs are the support options. That is what you are really
paying for.

HTH,

Tom