[Redhat-s390-list] MP3000 / 2216 Network init problems

We are having problems installing Redhat 7.1 on an MP3000 connecting
to a 2216.  When the LCS driver comes up, it says "Device or Resource
Busy", but the device address that is being used is the same that
OS/390 uses in the same LPAR.  (Yes I know we should be using our own
partition but the OS/390 partition is not production and other
production OSes are on the box that we don't want to shut down)
On a whim, I modprobed ctc and escon0 came up using device address
0x310.  Since the 2216 is connected through an ESCON channel this
seems appropriate, but assigning an IP using ifconfig returned an
error close to "The device on the other end is not active".  In the
OS390 configuration for TCPIP, I am told that there is a "start" for
the 2216.  Is there some equivalent command I can use in linux?
Am I going about this the right way in general?

root=/dev/rpm0 ip=off
DASD=170-17f
LCS=0x0310,1
host=lpar.caddo.us:eth0:10.253.5.1
NETWORK=10.0.0.0:255.0.0.0:10.253.0.1
RPMSERVER=ftp://10.253.1.9/pub/linux390
MOUNTS=/dev/dasda1:/,/dev/dasdb1:/usr/share,/dev/dasdc1:/var/log,/dev/
dasdd1:/data,/dev/dasde1:/home
SWAP=/dev/dasdc2