RE: [Redhat-s390-list] redhat linux 7.1 S390 X problem gnome xinerama missing gnome-terminal bus error

Florian's given his recommendation to use the RHEL3 beta code.  I'm going to
recommend that you _not_ use your expensive z900 CPU cycles to run an
X-based desktop, regardless of which version of Red Hat you wind up running.
It's awful wasteful, and not necessary.

Having said that...  Based on the warning message you give, it appears that
you're not using an SSH tunnel for the X $DISPLAY.  You might want to look
into doing that instead of what you're doing now.  The value you'll need to
set is
"X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, then restart sshd, and
reconnect.

That won't get rid of the error message (or fix your other problem), but
it'll make things more secure for you.

The warning message you're getting is because the X server running on your
desktop doesn't support that particular X extension.  The only thing you can
do about that is upgrade/replace the X server on your desktop.  Eliminating
the warning message may or may not fix your gnome-terminal problem.  You
might want to try other terminal emulators, such as xterm, Eterm, etc. to
see if any of those work.

Mark Post