RHEL Workstation

James Bourne jbourne at hardrock.org
Tue Nov 1 14:13:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Grant Street wrote:

> The application requires the 3D cards and nvidia drivers. The tablets
> are the only ones we can buy at the moment....
>
> sooo I'm between a rock and a hard place.
>
> I don't know how any one can use RHEL in a 3D workstation environment on
> recently purchased hardware(hardware bought in the last 6 months)......
> pity really
>
> They'd be hard pressed to come up with reference sites

I've used the nvidia drivers with FC3 and FC4 with a lot of success.  You
could try it in a test environment, build the kernel module and xorg module
and distribute that and the libs that get replaced using rdist or rsync to
your other workstations (or to one other workstation in a test environment).

They are a binary only module and therefore have little support from RH but
you may be able to get support from nvidia as well.

Unfortunately I've not used the tablet so that and its drivers are unknowns
to me.

Hope that helps.

Regards
James

James Bourne                  | Email:            jbourne at hardrock.org
UNIX Systems Administration   | WWW:           http://www.hardrock.org
Custom UNIX Programming       | Linux:  The choice of a GNU generation