Unable to install via FTP

Mathew Snyder theillien at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 14 06:46:28 UTC 2006

I'm studying for the RHCT/E and have recently upgraded my testing server
from RHEL3 to RHEL4.  I have the Redhat directory copied to
/var/ftp/pub.  If I log in to ftp remotely I am successful and an ls
lists pub.  If I change to pub I see Redhat.

I have it configured to use anonymous logins.

The problem arises when I attempt to perform an installation via FTP.
It used to be that if I couldn't establish a connection to the server it
would give me an error.  If it could connect but not find the necessary
installation image it would tell me.  However now, it doesn't say
anything.  It simply falls into an installation via CD asking me if I
want to test the installation media.

What am I missing?  Why is it not even bothering to connect to the FTP
server and instead using local media?

Mathew