Re: Increasing number of allocated file handles

> Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:41:42 -0400
> From: Dominique Demore <demored rainbowschools ca>
> To: redhat-sysadmin-list redhat com
> Subject: Re: Increasing number of allocated file handles
>
> We currently have out license as a processor based. I have placed a call with Oracle about this issue.
>
> I had placed all parameters in the sysctl.conf as part of the Oracle configuration guide, but it still has not resolved
> it..

Two things to look at before running to oracle:

1) make sure the sysctl.conf file has been re-read. eg, sysctl -p

2) for the pam_limits changes that were made in /etc/security/limits.conf,
make sure you log out all of the oracle users and log them back in again.

Leave no sessions hanging around. Remember that /etc/security/limits.conf is
driven by pam_limits and is set per-user at login time via the pam stack.

finally, one issue that I hit in RHEL4 that is aparently a bug, make sure
the oracle usernames are 8 characters or less and contain NO, repeat, NO
uppercase letters. I banged my head against a wall for an afternoon before
I figured that one out.

Regards,

Matthew Galgoci

--