lvs providing simple web service on top of gfs cluster

Greg Swift greg at netops.gvtc.com
Fri Sep 22 21:46:06 UTC 2006

Hi.

okay. This is my first try at this, but I'm setting up a rather standard
(per the documentation) setup.

I'm running on rhel4u4.

I want a LVS (2 boxes) router setup ontop of a 4 box active GFS cluster
that will provide these services: HTTP(S), FTP, POP, and IMAP (well
actually I don't know that i'll configure the IMAP to be available, but
meh might as well include it).

To start it off all i've configured is the back 4 boxes accessing a GFS
share for the web sites, and the apache services for port 80 and 443. I
can get on a box on this private network and access all the sites just
fine by directing straight to their actual IPs.

Next I installed and setup the lvs (piranha based) routers. The steps
literally include this:
1: up2date --installall=rhel-i386-es-4-cluster
2: set net.ipv4.ip_forward to 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf and to save a reboot
do 'sysctl -w net.ip4.ip_forward=1'
3: piranha-passwd
4: service piranha-gui start
5: configure web interface, (if you want to see it i will show lvs.cf,
but i'd rather not push it into a mailing list archive)
6: scp /etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.cf root at box2:/etc/sysconfig/ha/lvs.cf
7: service pulse start

I've configured the firewall to allow the traffic I want through
(basically anywhere can access anywhere via port 80), but have tried
this with the firewall turned off.

A quick check at the cli shows:
[root at ament ~]# ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP 216.177.160.9:80 wlc persistent 120
-> 172.16.1.124:80 Masq 1 0 0
-> 172.16.1.123:80 Masq 1 0 0
-> 172.16.1.121:80 Masq 1 0 0
-> 172.16.1.122:80 Masq 1 0 0

although i guess that tells every1 what my lvs.cf looks like... heheh
at this point if i try and access 216.177.160.9:80 the InActConn field
increments for the 1.124 box, but thats it
also, i don't know if its supposed to show up there, but i dont see
anything in netstat supporting this. (nothing is listening on port 80,
but i realize a port forwarding firewall won't necessarily show that).

Here is what happens when you try and access port 80 via telnet:

[root at shiva etc]# telnet 216.177.160.9 80
Trying 216.177.160.9...
telnet: connect to address 216.177.160.9: No route to host
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

but

[root at shiva etc]# ping 216.177.160.9
64 bytes from 216.177.160.9: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.254 ms

To specify my skill set, I am an rhce, but I realize that i'm probably
doing something wrong. I did follow the lvs/piranha documentation on
rh's site, and have an open case w/ them. anyone else know any gotchas
or have some recommendations about what might be the solution?

-greg

--

“While it is possible to change without improving, it is impossible to improve without changing.” -anonymous

“only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.” -anonymous

---
what's this? http://scanner.gvtc.com

!DSPAM:45146c6587616309012694!