tar failure

Richard Riley rriley at procuri.com
Thu Apr 5 03:40:44 UTC 2007

OK. I have finally found an error message I understand, but still don't
understand why or how to fix.

When I ran the tar command manually (as root) insuring an output file
size larger than 2GB, I actually got an error message of "File size
limit exceeded".
My confusion is when I run "ulimit -a" it shows file size "unlimited".
When I run this command on the NFS server I am writing the file to it
also shows "unlimited".  I checked the ulimit.conf file in /etc/security
and it also shows file size is set to "unlimited".  What is more
confusing is this had been working fine for multiple weeks creating a
file over 4.5GB in size.
The only thing that has caused any changes on either machine is running
"up2date -u", but I did not notice anything that I thought could relate
to a file size restriction.
Also, I still have another machine writing files to the NFS server of
over 7.5GB.
Again, DB machine with problem - RHEL 4 - kernel 2.6.9 release 34.0.1
	 NFS machine - RHEL 4 - kernel 2.6.9 release 42.0.8
	Other DB machine - RHEL 4 - kernel 2.6.9 release 34.0.2

Richard

----
Any chance your output file is hitting 2Gb or some other magical file
size?
Bill Watson
bill at magicdigits.com