Fastest System Possible

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 5 22:11:49 UTC 2007

A PIII/833 with 512MB?   Too small, too old.

Dual Xeon 3G CPU with 2G Ram.  I have about 20 machines with that config.
IBM x346 or higher will do it for you.  They're not that expensive.  Dell
2660 too.

The only way to cache the disk into memory is through the application.  In
other words, when the app accesses a disk file, it then re-reads it at that
memory location, if it hasn't been altered.  I don't know how to tell your
app where in memory the file lives, without the app first having read it.
It's faster to use a memory cache, but you really need tons of memory.

  _____