Automount Samba home directory?

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 20:03:05 UTC 2007

> Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:33:56 -0600
> From: Christopher Angel <Christopher.Angel at lightsource.ca>
> To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Automount Samba home directory?
>
> Hi all,
>
> We're trying to set up a system where clients can automount a Samba home
> directory as their home dir.
>
> Our problem - Samba requires a login/password to allow you to mount a
> directory, which, even though the username is easy to parse out during
> login, the password required isn't.
>
> Anyone know of a method we can use?

Is the user credential system used by the cifs server active directory-like? You might be
able to do something where you grab a kerberos ticket from the user at login, authed against
the AD server, which is then used to provide the user credentials for the samba/cifs mount?

I'm talking entirely theoretically here, I've never messed with active directory. It's crazy
enough that it might end up being workable though.

--
Matthew Galgoci
GIS Production Operations