SSH -X doesn't work without an export DISPLAY

Michel Dubois mdubois at polytech.unice.fr
Thu Jul 5 14:59:48 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 16:36:25 you wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 04:37:54PM +0200, Michel Dubois wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 July 2007 15:28:05 you wrote:
> > > When you set the $DISPLAY variable, do you set it to a localhost:#, or
> > > to hostname.foo.bar:#?  If you are doing the latter, then it isn't
> > > using a secure channel, but using normal X over TCP connections.
> >
> > Jonh,
> >
> > In the both case, I can't get the X11forward
> >
> > I have to export the DISPLAY env.
>
> If you are setting the DISPLAY variable because it is not set, then
> the SSH system isn't setting up the forward, and it will never work.
Jonh,

The DISPLAY variable isn't set by default :
ssh redhat_host
user at redhat_host's password:
Last login: Thu Jul  5 15:43:26 2007 from sun-server
[user at redhat ~]# echo $DISPLAY

[user at redhat ~]#

When I did "ssh -X", I 've got "localhost:10.0" in the DISPLAY variable. It's
seems the proub that ssh do something but not enought.

--
Cordialement.