EMC / CIFS Mount Problems on RHEL5

Roberto.Quagliozzi at edftrading.com Roberto.Quagliozzi at edftrading.com
Thu Jul 19 10:52:18 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have a very frustrating problem with some CIFS mounts that are being
presented out of an EMC Celerra NAS. Essentially, after it's mounted, I can
see the mount point, and list directory contents but I cannot read OR write
to the drive (it's not permissioning either, I've checked that).  If I copy
a file from the mounted share to local storage it just sits there, and I
get the following in messages:

Jul 19 11:26:04 mcblblue25 kernel:  CIFS VFS: RFC1001 size 135 bigger than
SMB for Mid=28
Jul 19 11:26:58 mcblblue25 kernel:  CIFS VFS: server not responding
Jul 19 11:26:58 mcblblue25 kernel:  CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 162 mid
28

This then repeats ad-infinitum and I get no file copied...

the offending fstab line is this:-

//pwrntsrv05.edftrading.com/share               /mnt/nt/share
cifs    credentials=/etc/cifspass       0 0

I've tried changing cifs for smbfs but it's no longer compiled into the
kernel. I've also downloaded the latest version of Samba and tried
mount.cifs from that, still no joy.  Tried on Fedora 7 (2.6.21-1) and same
problem. Seems to work on Ubuntu (2.6.20 i think) though...

Anyone seen this before? Know how to get round it? - or is it a kernel
recompile (something I'd rather not do for a production environment)??? I
should point out that this doesn't happen when connecting to shares on a
Windows box - only on the NAS.

Thanks
Rob Q

Rob Quagliozzi
Enterprise Systems Architect
EDF Trading
W: +44 (0) 20 7061 4381
M: +44 (0) 7894 165372
roberto.quagliozzi at edftrading.com

This communication contains confidential information, some or all of which may be privileged. It is for the intended recipient only and others must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this communication. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this communication, please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and then delete the e-mail. E-mail sent to EDF Trading may be monitored by the company. Thank you.

EDF Trading Markets Limited
71 High Holborn, London WC1V 6ED
A Company registered in England No. 4255974.
Switchboard: 020 7061 4000
EDF Trading Markets Limited is a member of the EDF Trading Limited Group and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
VAT number: GB 735 5479 07