NS issues

Flynn, Neill Neill.Flynn at itg.com
Fri Oct 12 10:53:57 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm a Solaris admin who has a few RH boxes to look after. We use NIS and
DNS for name resolution. The NIS host file gets updated by hand and the
DNS server uses this information to create it's named DB's. All clients
are setup to use "files, NIS, DNS" in their nsswitch.conf.

We have 3 boxes running propriety software (all on the same subnet), two
run in production and one is a backup. I created an alias for each of
the primary machines which is now used for accessing the services on
that box. "In the unlikely event of a failure", the plan is to switch
the alias from the faulty primary machine to the backup machine and
restart all services.

During testing, I changed the alias and updated DNS (I had a wee problem
with the TTL for the DNS zone - as these machines actually use a
secondary DNS server - this was overcome and all seemed fine). When the
application support lads went to startup the application, it was still
trying the old IP address of the aliased hostname.

I checked everything I could think of (mainly from a Solaris
perspective)..../etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf, ypmatch, nslookup,
arp, nscd (which isn't running)......anyway I found nothing obvious. Can
anyone suggest anything else that I should look at?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Neill

This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable,
but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. It is not
intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument oras an official confirmation of any transaction. Moreover, this material should not be
construed to contain any recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any
security. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system,
destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the
intended recipient.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to
state them to be the views of any such entity.

ITG may monitor traffic data of both business and personal e-mails. By replying to this
e-mail, you consent to ITG monitoring the content of any e-mails you send to or receive
from ITG.

ITG(r) is a global brand that, in Europe, refers to Investment Technology Group Limited
("ITGL"), registered in Ireland No. 283940 and/or its wholly owned subsidiary,
Investment Technology Group Europe Limited ("ITGEL"), registered in Ireland No.
283939. The registered office of these companies is Dublin Exchange Facility, IFSC,
Dublin 1, Ireland. ITGEL London Branch is registered in England and Wales, Branch No.
BROO4642. ITGL and ITGEL are authorised by the Irish Financial Regulator under the
Investment Intermediaries Act, 1995 and provide services in other member states under
Article 14 of the Investment Services Directive. ITGL is a member of the London Stock
Exchange, Euronext and the Deutsche Borse and operates POSIT(r), the Alternative
Trading System. ITGEL London Branch is regulated by the Financial Services Authority
for the conduct of investment business in the UK.