multi-port infrastructure modems

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 18:36:15 UTC 2007

> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:17:25 -0400
> From: Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci at redhat.com>
> To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
> Subject: multi-port infrastructure modems
>

> Hey Y'all,
>
> I'm having a problem getting a square peg into a round hole regarding
> multi-port modems in a modern server chassis.
>
> The new server is a 1u box with two pci express expansion slots. So far,
> I have not been able to find any pci express modems (let alone multi-port
> modem cards!) with this type of bus interconnect.
>
> Ok, so fair enough, I order a pci-x riser card to replace the pci express
> riser in the server chassis. One of my cohorts orders a multiport pci modem
> that we were assured would work. Problem is, this modem is 5V only, and
> keyed as such, and will not fit.
>
> I did some more research and the options for solving this problem in a clean
> way seem pretty sparse.
>
> Has anyone found such a beast?

Thank you to everyone who replied.

I ended up purchasing the following modem:

http://mainpine.com/products_IQE.html

It wasn't picked up by the serial driver immediately, so I had to do lspci and
get BAR0 and the interrupt for the card to feed to setserial. Once I did that,
each port was just an 0x08 offset from BAR0, starting that BAR0 itself.

So far so good. Looks like a very well designed device. :)

--
Matthew Galgoci
Network Operations