SSH question

Lopez, Denise dlopez at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 25 23:13:17 UTC 2007

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input.

So just to clarify, the answer to my question would be that the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file tells the Linux box how to resolve IP addresses.
Mine says "hosts: files dns."  So the Linux box consults "/etc/hosts"
for the IP to name resolution and if not found consults the dns server
listed in "/etc/resolve.conf".

After it has resolved the name then the packets get sent to SSH?  If
there is no name that resolves then the IP address gets passed so there
is no problem.

Then is the order name resolution, iptables, then ssh if it is an ssh
packet?

Denise Lopez