LVM might have locked me out

rchamberland rchamberland at chs.ca
Fri Oct 26 19:53:05 UTC 2007

I'm using RHEL4.  I had a system with RAID1/5 where the RAID 5 disks were
uninitialized, so I went into LVM and created some logical volumes out of
them.  I didn't know what to mount them to so I set them to mount to / until
I figured that out.  I created the volumes, then locked the machine and went
to lunch.

When I came back my password wasn't working, the lock screen won't let me
change login, and when I SSH into the machine my root and user passwords
aren't being accepted.  Ctl-Alt-F1 gives me a login prompt only, when I
enter something it just gives me another login prompt, no password request.

Looks like I messed up.

I'm not sure how to proceed now.  Any suggestions?  I'm not exactly sure how
I messed up, but I guess the OS can't find /etc/passwd now? I'm afraid to
cold reboot in case it makes the problem worse.