Disk partitions and LVM limits - SUMMARY

Peter Blajev pblajev at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 13 20:05:29 UTC 2008

Thank you all for the help.
I'm writing this summary message because of people requests. I haven't tried
all of this. I just collected it and organized it.

You've got a big storage. Now what?
The short answer is: "Just connect it. It should work."

I'll play safe by saying that the following applies to <10TB storage. Some
people reported file systems of 80TB.

Things to watch out for:
  - Make sure the driver you are using or the storage itself don't restrict
you from making big partitions or file systems.
  - fdisk creates partitions up to 2.1TB in size. Use "parted" instead.
  - RHEL5 supports up to 8TB ext3 file system. To create bigger then 8TB use
option "-F" and 4K blocks.

Your options are:
  - If the storage is connected to a RAID controller you can use the
controller to create smaller logical partitions. Then combine them with LVM.

 - If you really want to partition the drive use parted.
   While partitioning if you run into this message:
===
sdb: very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
SCSI device sdb: 10248519680 512-byte hdwr sectors (5247242 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
===
    you can just ignore it. It's informational (based on a few people